St. Paul's Avenel
Queen Street Avenel
Where to find us
Located 114 km north of Melbourne between Seymour and Euroa and just to the west of the Hume Highway, Avenel was established as a stopover point on the road from Melbourne to Albury. Avenel was the hometown of Ned Kelly in his younger years, where he saved a boy from drowning in the local Hughes Creek. His brother and father are buried in the Avenel cemetery. Ned Kelly and his family went to school here in Avenel and then later left.
The foundation stone of the first Anglican church in the town was laid on the 26th June 1872 and opened on the 24th November 1872. From 1872 to 1913 the church was located closer to the Hume Highway, but in 1913 a new red brick church was erected further to the north west of the township. St Paul’s is located in the tiny township of Avenel which lies a couple of kilometres west of the Hume Freeway, and about twenty kilometres north of the township of Seymour in central Victoria